Saturday, November 19, 2011

How do you Measure a Year?

Five Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand
Six Hundred Minutes
Five Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand
Moments so dear
Five Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand
Six Hundred Minutes
How Do You Measure - Measure A Year?
In Daylights - In Sunsets
In Midnights - In Cups Of Coffee
In Inches - In Miles
In Laughter - In Strife


One year ago today we were officially added to our agency's waitlist. 

So how do we measure the last year?

In the number of places we have moved on the waitlist?  (Down 40 on the boys' list and 57 on the girls' list)

In the number of times I have thought about our child? (too many to count)

In the number of times I have doubted whether this will finally happen? (see answer above)

In plans made?  In wait times that have increased? In changes to the program?  In times I have despaired?

Five Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand
Six Hundred Minutes
How Do You Measure - Measure A Year?

In Referrals - In Movement
In Changes in wait times
In Sorrows - In Prayers
In Strength- In Faith

I"m not sure how I will measure this next coming year.  But I hope to measure it
in smiles (my child's),
in miles (the journey to Ethiopia),
in joy and in blessings. 


5 comments:

  1. You are really tugging at my heart strings right now!!! I love RENT!!! That song is beautiful. And it's also very difficult to get to those anniversaries that are reminders of how you still don't have a child. For me it's the anniversaries of my miscarriages and seeing others around me who have had babies since then. But this will be a new year, and yes, hopefully it will be full planning for a trip to Ethiopia and of a baby's laughter.

    XOXO
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping for an amazing new year, full of hope and the beginning of your family. A year is a long time to be waiting for news and a referral. And you have really made some progress on the waiting lists. Congratulations on surviving this year, and thinking of you tons for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That song is always a favorite of mine. It is so hard to recognize these milestones, when really you feel like absolutely nothing has happened. But in actuality it means you are a year closer to your child. At least that's what I tell myself when I need a boost. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying to come up with words that will give some comfort...but really the waiting game in adoption can feel like hell. Your post is beautifully written. May this next year bring you the joy you desire!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So once again we have something in common...I love that song and that show! How appropriate. And it never even occurred to me to connect it to this long wait! We hit the year mark at the end of October...right there with you!

    ReplyDelete