Sunday, April 3, 2011

We are Casey's Parents

Any American Idol fans out there?
 
Well a few weeks ago my husband and I were watching American Idol.  Right before each singer performs there is a brief montage of their journey to AI and in this show there was a brief interview with each contestant talking about their home life, parents, etc.,  One of the contestants, Casey Abrams, spoke about his parents saying they were a little older than his friends' parents - cut away to an older looking couple.
 
 
I turned to my husband and I said we are Casey's parents.  Or we will be.  I am 40 and my husband is a little older.  We don't feel too old to be parents.  And today lots of people are waiting to become parents.  But the reality is, we may be in our 60's when our child graduates high school and college.   
 
This seems odd to me because I was a freshman in high school when girls my age had babies.  They are now grandmothers (at 40!) while I'm still waiting to become a first time mom! 
 
But I think waiting to start our family has been best for us.  So while we may be that older retired goofy couple loudly cheering on their kid at sporting events and plays (or chess and debate if he/she takes after me), we wouldn't have it any other way.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment