Thursday, March 3, 2011

Thinking

Recently Courtney from AddingAstons wrote on her blog about how many times a day she thinks about the child she will adopt.  Innumerable
Her post made me stop and reflect on how many times a day I think about the child that will someday be mine.  Innumerable. 
This is what I think about:
I think whether we will adopt a boy or girl.
I think about names.
I think about how old he or she will be when we receive our referral.
Is he or she even born yet?
I think about our referral call - when will it come? How will I react?
I think about our child's story.
I think about seeing that first photo - soft skin and curly dark hair.
I think about traveling to Ethiopia.  When will we go? How long will I take off from work?
I think about Hannah's Hope. 
I think about walking through those gates.
I think of how I will feel the first time I see my child in person.
I think about our child sleeping, smiling and laughing.
I think about how wonderful a father my husband will be.
I think about how he will look with our child in his arms.
I think about how much our lives will change once our child is home.
I think about how those things that seemed so important - dining out, movies, lavish vacations - won't seem so important anymore.
I think about toys.
I think about baby clothes.
I think about children's books and reading to our child.
I think about crib bedding - giraffes, puppies or geometric prints?
I think about where our child will sleep.
I think about what color to paint the baby's room.
I think about my mom meeting our child.
I think about my nieces babysitting their cousin.
I think about how much time we will take off from work to cocoon with our baby.
I think about which one of us will become the stay at home parent.
I think about pediatricians.
I think about bottles and diapers.
I think about how many times I am going to have to call my sisters and friends and ask "what do I do?"
I think about zoos, pumpkin patches and visits to Santa.
I think about a woman on the other side of the world who will give life to my child.
I think about meeting her.
I think about what I will say to her.  Will I ever be able to convey my gratitude?
I think about whether I will be a good mother.
Every day - in some manner - I have these thoughts. 
I am so looking forward to the day we have our child in our arms -  When we become a family.

1 comment: